I love Empties videos on YouTube, because if someone is showing you a product they’ve totally used up, you know you’re getting a fully formed opinion on it. I always wanted to do one myself, but couldn’t justify holding onto trash, waiting to accumulate enough stuff for a video. But when I recently finished up several products at the same time, I realized my blog could be a good venue for this sort of thing, because I can take pictures of the empty containers before I dispose of them, and compile them into a post when I have a good amount.
Today I have five empty products to share with you!
1. Folle de Joie Perfume: I found out about this perfume in 2014, during the brief period of time I was subscribed to Birchbox. They sent me a sample of this, and I fell so deeply in love that I treated myself to a proper bottle. To me, it’s kind of flowery, but not in a full on girly way — it’s got a bit of an undertone to it that I associate more with masculine scents. To be more precise, according to the website, it’s got top notes of sweet citrus, woodsy floral, and cognac, mid notes of jasmine and rose, and base notes of spicy wood and leather. In my experience, it sticks around the whole day. I still like this perfume a lot, although not as much as I first did. I won’t be repurchasing it, because I really only have room for one fancy perfume in my budget (and several cheap ones, lol) and I’ve since fallen way more in love with another.
2. Nip+Fab Glycolic Fix Night Pads: I talked about these in my full skincare routine post, and I’m still digging them. In fact, I’ve already bought another tub (which was probably my 4th or 5th one)! To reiterate what I’ve written over there, I use these as a nighttime toner. There’s a lot of nice skincare acids in them that weaken the bonds between my skin cells to kind of chemically exfoliate the skin and aid in the renewal of my complexion.
3. Soap and Glory Heel Genius Foot Cream: I’m not gonna lie to you, the bottoms of my feet are not the prettiest in the world, especially in the winter. I remember that I saw a YouTuber (I forget which one) recommend this in an Empties video, so I thought I’d try it out. This helped a lot, but I think I’m just going to go back to slathering tons of regular body lotion onto my feet because there are a few things I wasn’t crazy about.
Firstly, the scent — I’m very picky about scents, and I find that I usually do not like Soap and Glory’s scents. This one wasn’t as bad as some of the others, and I did get used to it, but still am not interested in smelling it again anytime soon.
Secondly, it’s hard to get it to absorb — When dispensing this cream I found there was a very thin line between “not enough to cover my foot” and “whoops, way too much lotion.” I’d put my socks on and go about my business for the few hours between shower and bedtime. Then when I’d take off my socks to go to bed (I can’t sleep with them on), I’d find my feet felt kind of sticky, even on the days where I got the amount of product right. It wasn’t a major discomfort, but I wasn’t fond of it. Also, I couldn’t rub the leftover cream into my hands after coating my feet, it didn’t work. It left a weird residue that made me feel like I couldn’t touch anything, and had to immediately wash my hands.
4. Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask: I mentioned this in my post about the face masks I own. I’ll be honest — technically this isn’t fully empty, but it’s past its expiration date (always look for the little jar icon the back of cosmetics/skincare!). The last few times I’ve tried to use it, I’ve found that it’s hard to remove from the pot because it’s dried out a bit. So I figured it was time to pitch it, since I’m paranoid about fucking up my skin. I’ve described this as kind of a poor man’s version of the famous Glamglow mask, and I’d buy it again in the future once I use up other face masks I have.
5. Noxzema Classic Clean: This is another one from my big skincare masterpost. This cleanser is my basic, twice a day go-to. It makes my skin feel clean, but not dried out. Like it says on the tub, it tingles, which is super refreshing and helps me wake up in the morning, lol. I’ve gone through maybe four or five of these, but haven’t bought a new one yet because around the time this was running out, I was also prepping for my trip to Boston and bought a stick based cleanser (partly from curiosity, partly for ease of travel). But once I use that up, I’m going straight back to this!
That’s it for this Empties post! Let me know what you think of this format. I think I’d like to do more of these — it’s a nice way to share a bunch of recommendations at once, instead of doing a lot of little review posts.
Have you guys been using anything interesting recently?
I hope you’ve been having the best week you can.